- BP Oil, junior trainee
- NZ Institute of Economic Research, graduate economist
- Commonwealth Secretariat, London; Senior Commodity Economist, Editor World Grain Trade Yearbook
- NZIER, Economist, Senior Economist, Commercial Manager, Director; numerous studies in NZ and Australia, including commercial consulting and other work and publications on national accounts & forecasting, resource economics, major projects, trade, public and private investment, energy, coal , hydro, electricity, mining and mineral processing, industrial and regional development, transport, aluminum Japan and Australia-Japan economic relations.
- Comalco Limited, Australia; Chief Economist then General Manager; managing electricity supply agreements, negotiations and operations; major investment projects; government policy issues; and developing high performance in companies.
- Managing Director, CRA/ Rio Tinto 1988 - 2003; energy, environment, external affairs, New Zealand. Member, Comalco Executive Committee. Negotiating / developing / operating multi company/country joint venture projects and consortia, in New Zealand, Australia, Japan, S E Asia, Canada, USA, Venezuela, etc. Participated in numerous public policy, processes and activities, particularly on trade, economic policy, development and relations and energy. Developing high performance in organizations.